Monday, January 16, 2012

Reflections on Proverbs 8:13


Proverbs 8:13 (AMP) The reverent fear and worshipful awe of the Lord [includes] the hatred of evil; pride, arrogance, the evil way, and perverted and twisted speech I hate.
The fear of the Lord is not neutral, rather it is active. We can never be free from evil if we are passive! To say that we fear the Lord and yet do little or nothing to combat the evil in our individual lives and in the world around us is hypocritical. The scripture demands that we turn from evil (Psalm 37:27) and  overcome evil with the good that we do (Romans 12:21). Because we fear the Lord we do not repay evil for evil (Romans 12:17). The fear of the Lord is evident in our daily lives and thought process in that we refuse compromise living above reproach, abstaining from even the appearance of evil (1 Thessalonians 5:22).  
Like the Psalmist I pray, search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. (Psalm 139:23-24). Teach me Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name (Psalm 86:11).

1 comment:

  1. Exellent! : )

    "The fear of the Lord is not neutral, rather it is active. We can NEVER be free from evill if we are PASSIVE!"

    ReplyDelete