Friday, January 20, 2012

Proverbs 12:25


Proverbs 12: 25 (AMP)  Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down, but an encouraging word makes it glad.
Anxiety is a real concern that all of us face from time to time. Some people have a predisposition to anxiety and depression and struggle often. Others, like me, usually see the glass half full. I will be truthful with you. There have been numerous times in my life when in crisis, that anxiety had me in its clammy grip. I remember one time in particular when I wondered if I could live through the crushing pain.

Speaking on this verse a noted theologian wrote, “Here is the cause and consequence of melancholy. It is heaviness in the heart; it is a load of care, and fear, and sorrow, upon the spirits, depressing them, and disabling them to exert themselves with any vigour on what is to be done or fortitude in what is to borne; it makes them stoop, prostrates and sinks them. Those that are thus oppressed can neither do the duty nor take the comfort of any relation, condition, or conversation. Those therefore that are inclined to it should watch and pray against it.” --Matthew Henry Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible

Over the years I have learned to rely upon the truth of God’s word and found great comfort in the following verses. I have shared them often with others and watched as they come out of the cold shadows of despair into the warmth and light of hope. 

1 Peter 5:7 (AMP)  Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully

Psalm 55:22 (AMP)  Cast your burden on the Lord [releasing the weight of it] and He will sustain you; He will never allow the [consistently] righteous to be moved (made to slip, fall, or fail).

Isaiah 26:3-4 (AMP) 3  You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You.4  So trust in the Lord (commit yourself to Him, lean on Him, hope confidently in Him) forever; for the Lord God is an everlasting Rock [the Rock of Ages].
Philippians 4:6-7 (AMP) 6  Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.7  And God’s peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  
Job says it so well. “[But] I would strengthen and encourage you with [the words of] my mouth, and the consolation of my lips would soothe your suffering.” Job 16:5 (AMP) 
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NLT) 3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.
Heavenly father, thank you for the comfort that you have given me over the years. Thank you for the many people you have brought into my life who walked with me in times of darkness and despair. Thank you for the ministry of the Holy Spirit who continually pulled me forward, refusing to leave me in my anxious moments. Thank you for the way You have continually pursued me, forgiving me, refreshing me, and guiding me in your marvelous truth. I love You with all my soul!

1 comment:

  1. This is very encouraging blog--very practical and applicable... Many thanks for that!!

    ReplyDelete